Photo by: Boudewijn Bollmann
Niels Bakkerus (1985) is a multi-disciplinary artist working and living in Eindhoven, the Netherlands. Niels has been creating & studying art since his childhood. After secondary school he studied design & communication at Sint Lucas in Boxtel and graduated as an illustrator in 2010 at AKV Sint Joost in Breda. He began painting graffiti around 2001 and has been working on realistic portraits and lettering techniques since then. This lead to the creation of numerous murals in public places. In 2007 he made a huge mural in Palestina, this experience is still plays a big role in his life and in his art. Next to graffiti Niels puts his focus on all kinds of art in public places, this led to his signature streetart style called Papercut. He tries to compose new images in public places, billboards and on canvas by cutting and rearranging posters and flyers. In almost all projects typography plays a big role, whether it’s graphic design, illustration, graffiti or papercut projects. Niels plays with the aesthetic values of letters, working between communication and typography as image itself. Trough this wordplay Niels got into the creation of ambigrams and even wrote his thesis about ambigrams in graphic design. Since he is also a graffiti writer the combination of graffiti and ambigrams is more than logical, this style created by Niels is called ambigraffiti. Niels Continues to work and evolve his ambigrams in his own calligraphic style.
Niels works for Papierwerk, his own creative studio where he uses his skills in graphic design, illustration and typography for commissioned jobs. Papierwerk is specialized in illustration and custom lettering. Niels spends his time working on commercial jobs and on his personal art projects.
- july 2010 Graduation Expo, AKV St Joost ,Breda.
- October 2010, Dutch Design Week, Life Cycle Expo, Tour de Ville, Eindhoven
- October 2010, Dutch Design Week, Le Projet du Cirque, Kelderman & van Noort, Eindhoven
- February 2011 Presentatie Tekenkunst, De Krabbedans. Eindhoven
- July 2011 Hidden Beauty, Schellens Fabriek, Eindhoven
- August 2011 Respond/React, Progress art space, Lowlands Festival, Biddinghuizen
- October 2011, Dutch Design week, Kaiju, with Vormgevingsgezind & Nette Jongens, Eindhoven
- November 2011, Kunstlijn Haarlem, Bohemian Huwelijk, Atelier De Remise, Haarlem
- December 2011, solo-exhibition, Papierwerk, Pakhuis De Zwijger, Amsterdam
- January 2012, Presentation, Ignite Amsterdam # 14, Mediamatic, Amsterdam